Saturday, March 22, 2008

some fun first and fun free/cheap stuff

I was going to wait to post some of this because I have done a few posts in the last week and I don't want to raise expectations =) but I've heard some grandparents in San Diego are wondering what buddy is up to today. So here's what's new this week... Porter had several firsts (he must be feeling pressure with that first birthday coming up)... some were bigger than others... it was all on the same day... he managed to crawl fast enough to make it to the bathroom and get up to the toilet that his little hands hit the water for the first time... gross! He thought it was cool though. The bathroom doors are trying to stay shut now because he is just getting too fast! Another first- he tried to take a bite out of his mom... I don't want to get graffic, but OUCH! thank goodness I only have 1 month left.
Now for the more exciting firsts... we got him a little pool for easter, partially a selfish purchase because its going to help get us through a hot summer with a little boy who LOVES to be outside. This day it was a little cold shortly after a few pictures he started shivering and we had to move inside to a bath instead:


I still need to get him some little pool toys (these are more sand box toys).
That same day we decided that his hair was just getting a little long, but I've been avoiding a cut because he doesnt have enough hair to pay someone and its so thin that its just hard to do. But he was starting to get little whispy 'wings' on the sides so Bryce buzzed the back and sides a little and then he trimmed the top... not a perfect cut but its better and he was super good/trusting of dad cutting his hair.
Then on Wednesday I was listing some books and movies on craigslist just to see if I could get rid of them and make a few dollars without having a garage sale =) when I stumbled over the to free section (a bit scary at times) and there was a listing for free sand. YAY!!! We wanted to build a sandbox for his birthday coming up, but when I figured out the cost of sand and lumber and all I had written it off as a someday idea and settled on more simple ideas for his birthday. This cut the cost in half and I had homedepot giftcards from a deal I did back in december arrive and so it was a done deal... we still need to put hinges on the lid and I'm trying to decide if I want to paint it, and fill it with toys, but its fun none the less. The first day he didn't like it so much but he is 'learning' how to play in it and just is glad to be outside.



As if calling my husband during the day and telling him that when he gets home we are going to haul sand for a sandbox isnt enough, some neighbors who just moved in were getting rid of some landscaping block like what we wanted to build a planter out of, but at $1.50 a brick and needing 100 or so it just hasnt happened... well for $40 we got a close to a hundred so this pile turned into this:



(we did this just this morning before Bryce left to work!)
our yard is finally shaping up into a place the dog, kids and the parents can hang out, and I will get to plant a few flowers and eventally a little square foot garden in the planter =) It definately beats the muddy weed filled backyard we had when we moved in a year ago!

My dad wanted to know what Porter is up to during the day well here's two more examples... he loves to take the wipes out of the box and sucks on them and tears them up... he likes to do whatever mom is doing or does... mop the floor/unload the dishwasher/do the laundry.


His other project lately has been examining the doggy door ... he is determined to figure out how Sadie gets outside through that thing and get out as well. And I am sure with the added fun in the yard and his determination it won't be long! Sadie also tries to teach him, but it he hasn't figured it out yet and I'm okay with that.

(sorry for the bad lighting, if I turned the lights on he would have stopped)
One thing I am started to become super grateful for... a transition to napping for 2 hours in the morning instead of taking 3 45min naps. Its so nice to shower AND get something done during his nap!

6 comments:

LiciRae said...

Your little guy is so cute. I remember the wipe pulling stage! I guess we are going to be there again soon. You guys are awesome! What fun parents!

Team Seguritan said...

The yard looks GREAT! You know I'm all excited when loved ones get good deals, so that makes me love it even more. I'm jealous of the planter area, That should be lots of fun. Talk to you later

Katie

Margaret said...

I'm jealous of that sunshine! I love your little planter.

Kate said...

Hi! I'm so excited to discover your blog. Porter looks so cute and much more grown up with his cute haircut. And HELLO, you guys are so awesome to build the planter and sandbox and everything. We are pretty much the OPPOSITE of handy around here. So when you come over (which hopefully will be soon because I'm going to invite you to dinner)... don't expect any cool stuff in our backyard. ;)

The Gwynns said...

I am excited to see you guys soon! (even if you're staying with us just cuz you don't want to drive far!) I told Bryce I could watch Porter for an evening so you two can go do something fun, sound good? Well, Take care! :)

ltandjbcox said...

This posting is a killer!! You guys have had a ton of stuff going on. The planter is great and just in time for spring planting. We won't plant until the end of May, most likely, except for peas and carrots and lettuce.
We may stop by on the 17th when Dad brings me down to catch the plane to Chicago. We will check out the yard in person, then.